People who are primarily into sports are very familiar with the term ankle sprain ICD 10. But it can happen to anyone by accidentally twisting or awkwardly turning your ankle. An ankle sprain is a widespread medical condition. Here one or more of the ligaments of the ankle is torn or partially torn. Ankle sprain ICD 10 refers to a medical billable code for sprain of unspecified code for the ankle.
It also refers to the diagnosis and other facts about an ankle sprain. Symptoms of this problem can include pain, swelling, bruising. You may even be unable to walk for some time being. It depends on the severity of your sprain. Treatment includes resting the injured area, icing it, wearing a bandage compressing the space, and medicines. You may even need exercise and physiotherapy. However, it depends on the grade of your injury. By taking the proper diagnosis and treatment, you will be able to heal completely.
Types Of Ankle Sprain ICD 10
An ankle sprain occurs if the ligaments are forced beyond their normal range of motion. Most ankle sprain occurs in the ligament on the outer side of the ankle. The pain of an ankle sprain depends on the grade of your injury. It means the sprain can be mild to severe.
- If you turn and twist your ankle in, then it’s an inversion ankle sprain. You will feel the pain on the outside of the ankle.
- If you turn and twist your ankle out, then it’s an eversion sprain. You will feel the pain on the inner side of the ankle. This type of sprain is not that common.
- Landing wrong in a jump, which pushes the ankle up, then its high ankle sprain.
- A grade one ankle sprain tends to be the mildest form of a sprain. It basically results in minimal tissue damage. Just try the rice ( rest, icing, compression, elevation) method for some days. You will be all right.
- A grade two ankle sprain tends to be severe than a grade one. One or more ligaments teen to get damaged. You will see a lot of swelling and bruising. You need to take proper treatments from a doctor or a physician. It may take 2-6 weeks to recover.
- Your ligaments are torn in the grade three ankle sprain. You may be unable to bear any weight on the ground. It may even take 6-12 weeks to heal.
Symptoms Of Ankle Sprain ICD 10
Symptoms can vary depending on what kind of ankle sprain you had. But some signs are very common in all types of sprains. They are
- Pain, especially if you carry weight on the injured foot.
- Restricted range of emotion
- Instability in the injured ankle
- Skin discolouration
It’s essential to see if you suspect that it’s an ankle sprain. Your doctor will examine your injury. Then you will get to know if it’s a sprain or something severe than that.
Causes Of Ankle Sprain ICD 10
Ankle sprain ICD 10 is a very common injury in sporting and everyday situations. The ligaments of your ankle tend to stretch during an ankle sprain. They may even partially tear or tear completely. But there are many causes behind this ankle sprain injury.
- You may be walking. But all of a sudden, you lose your balance and twist your ankle. So a fall may cause this ankle sprain
- If you land awkwardly on your foot after jumping or pivoting.
- If you walk or exercise on uneven ground, then this can happen.
- Wearing inappropriate footwear can one of the reasons for an ankle sprain.
- Another person stepping or landing on your foot may be one of the reasons for an ankle sprain.
These are the very common reasons for an ankle sprain. And it can occur to anyone.
Diagnosis For Ankle Sprain ICD 10
If you suspect that you had an ankle sprain, then immediately go to your doctor. Your doctor will examine your ankle very carefully. Then he will determine where is the injured ligament. During that time, he will move your ankle join in many ways. So that he can see your range of motion. He will touch the skin to check tenderness. By doing that, he may get an idea of what positions caused the discomfort of pain. If the injury is severe, he may tell you to do the imaging scans to find any broken bone.
- An X-ray is very helpful to rule out a bone fracture. During the X-ray, a small amount of X-ray passes through your body. In this way, it can produce images of the bones of the ankle.
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) will be very effective. It can produce 3D images of the soft internal structure of the ankle and the ligaments. If you had a severe sprain, then your doctor will do this test.
- CT scan tends to take X-rays from different angles and then combine an image. In this way, you will get to see the precise condition of your sprained ankle.
If you have sprained your ankle, don’t worry. By taking proper treatment, you will be all right.
- The rice (rest, ice compression, elevation) is very applicable for this injury. Try to get plenty of rest ankle sprain ICD 10. Avoid activities that cause pain. Use an ice pack wrapping in a soft towel for 15-20 minutes every two to three hours a day. To stop the swelling, it will be better if you compress the ankle with an elastic bandage. If you elevate your foot above the level of your heart, it will reduce the swelling.
- Use crutches if you need them.
- Never try not to put any weight on your affected ankle.
- You may take ibuprofen like Advil .On the other hand, you can take acetaminophen like Tylenol. By taking these medicines, you will be able to manage pain.
Last Few Words
Ankle sprain ICD 10 is one of the most common injuries in our everyday life. But most of them heal with no problems at all. It will take less or more time to heal because it depends on your injury. Once the swelling goes down, you will feel the pain is reducing. But you need to take proper rest and treatment to heal properly. Do not engage in sports activities even you feel halfway healed. Because the ankle will get worse if you do this. Doctors suggest staying careful while walking or doing any sports activities. Because there is a chance of spraining your ankle again. So always try to remain cautious and safe.