The uncanny bond between a devoted breakfast and waffles is something that you often wonder about, and it is natural to think that. Well, breakfast is the ultimate meal of the day, and starting off a new day with gluten free waffles sounds delicious!
Waffles are one of the most popular breakfast food items as they are quite easy to make, lets not forget that it is quick as well. You can even add your own customization to it and make it as per your choice, and here is the silver lining for you, waffles make every food product delicious to eat if you add them into it. Enjoy your waffles with maple syrup, butter, or add meat to your meal. It makes your breakfast a nutritional as well as a satisfying one. Besides being a perfect breakfast meal, it has made an interesting entry as a delighting dessert dish in many countries due to its sweetness and customized recipes to go along with it.
How about some valid information and recipes along with it about your favorite breakfast meal? Read more in this article about waffles and gluten-free waffles. Scroll down to know more!
However, before we get into the detailed insight about gluten-free waffles, let’s get to know a bit about the dish first.
Table of Contents
What are waffles?
A waffle is a type of food item or dish made typically from fermented dough. It is cooked by putting the dough between two patterned plates to provide different sizes, shapes, and designs depending on the characteristics. There are various waffle recipes based on the types of ingredients and waffle iron used to make it.
This dish is a popular breakfast meal in Belgium. However, it has gained attention throughout the world over the years, and different regional customized recipes for waffles took rise along with it. Waffles are often eaten fresh or by heating after the commercial cooking process takes place, which sometimes includes freezing it.
What are gluten-free waffles?
Gluten-free waffles are simply any form of waffle that does not include gluten ingredients. Typical waffle batter or dough is made out of wheat flour, milk, sugar, eggs, and fresh butter with added preservatives, vanilla extract, and a bit of salt. The difference lies in the making of the batter of the dish. The gluten-free batter would include almond flour ( most popular), buckwheat flour, arrowroot flour, or a gluten-free ingredient blended flour instead of the typical flour made out of wheat. This makes the waffles exclude the starch components present in wheat. This is a typical methodical approach for people who have celiac disease, depending upon a gluten-free diet.
However, gluten-free wheat flour is also present in the market, and many cooks prefer it as the flavor remains like a typical waffle. An important note for you, this flour was made only for making delicious dishes like waffles to meet the Food and Drugs Administration requirements, while making it a gluten-free dish because of the content of gluten, which is under 5ppm.
Here are the nutritional facts that you need to know about gluten-free waffles –
The amount calculated per serving for a gluten-free waffle of 45g
- Calories – 118 ( Fat 36 )
- Total Fat – 4 g
- Saturated Fat – 0.3 g
- Trans Fat – 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat – 1.1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat – 2 g
- Cholesterol – 0 mg
- Sodium – 227 mg
- Potassium – 56 mg
- Carbohydrates – 19 g
- Protein – 1.2 g
Information is made out of surveys with an approximate range and may depend on the recipe and batter.
Health benefits of gluten-free waffles
As you have a bit of idea about waffles and gluten-free waffles by now, the most common question arises in your mind is, ” what difference does a gluten-free waffle make for me? “. However, we are here to clear out your doubts about this particular question as well. A waffle without gluten has several benefits for your health, most notably for diseases like celiac disease, as gluten is pretty harmful to someone suffering from it, and this is the catch, the gluten-free waffles let you enjoy the delicious dish without any fear of any negative effect on your health.
Let’s look at the benefits of this super ingredient below!
Relief of digestive problems
Gluten-free meals that include waffles provide you major relief from digestive symptoms like bloating, constipation, fatigue, diarrhea. Studies have proved that gluten-free waffles have helped food lovers with an easier digestive process, especially for celiac disease patients and people without the disease.
Reduces chronic inflammation for celiac disease patients
Inflammation is a natural occurrence in our body that treats our body infections and heals them. Chronic inflammation arises for people who have celiac disease that creates health problems as the inflammation does not work efficiently. Your favorite dish, waffle, which is gluten-free, works in a helpful way to reduce chronic inflammation. It increases the levels of inflammation of the body, which saves the patient from significant health problems.
Eat gluten-free waffles to lose weight
You read it right! Gluten-free waffles help you to reduce your weight gain.A delicious, gorgeous breakfast that allows you to burn those calories you do not need. And this food eliminates the unwanted calories and starches of junk food. What’s better than that? However, having buttery, sweet, and gluten-free sugar waffles does not help your cause either. It is suggested to eat the inappropriate dish amount. Now, let’s look at the types of this available for you in the market!
Types of waffles
Gluten free waffles almond flour
Waffles are made out of dough and batters of flour. The most common gluten-free flour that is used as a substitute for wheat flour is almond flour. It has many minerals like iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium, copper, and manganese. It is an excellent source of vitamin E and monounsaturated Fat. Along with that, it gives a nutty flavor to the waffles, which makes it a little more rich in flavor than a waffle made out of wheat flour.
Gluten free waffles vegan
A vegan diet has delicious waffles added to the list as well. And gluten-free flour makes the waffles healthier, especially for celiac patients.
A typical vegan, the gluten-free waffle is made out of gluten-free flour and then garnished with rich nuts, fruits, and vegetables.
Almond-free flour added to vegan food products makes a delightful, rich and sensational waffle for your breakfast as well as dessert.
Gluten-free waffles frozen
Frozen waffles are pretty famous among food enthusiasts. However, celiac disease is nothing to defeat your wish to eat a delightful meal. Frozen gluten-free waffles are available in the market. Brands like Kashi, Kinnikinnick Foods, Trader Joe’s, Wegmans, Van’s Natural Foods provide you with the best quality frozen gluten-free waffles with a variety of choices for you in the matter of flavor. Check these brands out to know more about them as their quality and flavors of waffles are the best in the value in the gluten-free section for frozen waffles.
Fluffy gluten free waffles
A fluffy waffle is a piece of art that needs to be eaten out with desire and delight. This fluffiness takes place due to eggs, and the trick lies upon the egg whites. If the egg white is beaten to perfection, the waffles become fluffy. Not just that, fluffy waffles can be gluten-free as well. Flours that are gluten-free can be used to make fluffy waffles.
Gluten free Belgian waffles
The Belgian waffle is the favorite type of waffle out there for enthusiasts. Why not? Belgian waffles are rich in flavor and taste due to their deeper pockets that hold more syrup. Add this rich taste to the different flavors that gluten-free flour produces, and you have a magical meal at your disposal that needs to be eaten out with pleasure.
Gluten-free Belgian waffles are made explicitly for people who have celiac disease, but it has made a separate fan base of its own for the rich combination of a variety of flavors that gluten-free flour provides with the tasty Belgian waffle recipes. We have covered the types of gluten-free waffles, now, the section that you eagerly waited for! Scroll down to read about the gluten-free waffle recipes made just for you.
Best gluten-free waffles recipe for you
Here are the best gluten-free waffle recipes for you to make and enjoy the delightful dish with your family and friends. Have someone close to you who likes waffles but has celiac disease? Do not worry, as we have got you covered with a rich and delicious recipe to make them happy and healthy.
Scroll down to know more!
Gluten free waffles ( with dairy products )
Let’s look at the recipe containing dairy products.
- Gluten free flour – Take any gluten-free flour as per your choice and availability.
- Buttermilk – Buttermilk will add a buttery flavor to the waffle. However, regular milk can be used as well.
- Vanilla Extract – Use any store-bought vanilla extract or add your homemade vanilla extract as per your choice.
- Other ingredients – Eggs, Baking Powder, Salt, Sugar, and Cinnamon.
How to make it?
- Stir the ingredients together in a large bowl, preferably a mixing bowl, and let the batter rest for 15-17 minutes.
- Heat the waffle iron and coat it with cooking spray.
- Pour around ¾ to 1 cup of batter into the plate of the waffle-making machine and close it. Cook the batter for about 5-6 minutes or until the steam stops escaping. However, most machines, in this case, waffle makers, have a light or an indicator that shows when it’s done the work for you. Waffle makers have different shapes and sizes, and the amount of batter that will go into the plate will vary upon it.
- Take out the waffle by using a fork or tongs, whichever is available for you.
- After that, your waffles are ready.
- Now, add extra toppings to make it more delicious. Preferably items like maple syrup, whipped cream, fruit jam, chocolate syrup, or butter. You can also add meat items as toppings to waffles in recent times, so you can understand that it depends on your customization completely. The possibilities have no boundaries, and keep on trying new topping items!
If you prefer a crispy crust, let the waffle cook on the waffle iron for 2-3 minutes before taking it out.
Gluten-free waffles ( with vegan products )
Let’s look at the recipe made from vegan products –
- Gluten free flour – You can use any kind of gluten-free flour. However, almond gluten-free flour is best.
- Unsweetened almond milk – You can use almond milk to make a vegan waffle.
- Olive, Avocado, or Coconut Oil – Any one of the three can be used to prepare the batter.
- Gluten-free rolled oats – Add gluten-free rolled oats to make it for the batter.
- Other ingredients- apple cider vinegar, baking powder, salt
How to make it?
- Add the almond milk, gluten-free flour, vinegar and stir it well for 2-3 minutes.
- Then, add olive oil – add olive oil to the batter now and whisk it.
- Add dry ingredients like nuts and dry fruits and whisk it well until you combine. After that, add wet ingredients and whisk them again. This will create a mixture that is not too gloppy but a little thick so that you can scoop it.
- Let the batter sit in the bowl for 5-8 minutes while the waffle iron heats up.
- Pour around ¾ to 1 cup of batter into the plate of the waffle-making machine and close it. Cook the batter for about 5-6 minutes.
- Take the waffle out by using a fork or tongs.
- Add more toppings over the waffle, like fruit flavors, maple syrup, fruit jam, or any vegan food items that you want to add to it. It is completely dependent on your wishes.
Gluten-free waffles have added more options and varieties to the dish. The customization of one of the most popular breakfast dishes in the whole world depends on the regional trends of the food.
Using gluten-free flours for the waffles has added flavor to the already rich and delicious food item, along with various health benefits for people who have celiac disease and others. Waffles will continue to rule the front lines regarding the most important meal of the day, breakfast.
Let us know by commenting in our comment box and telling us about your experience with waffles and gluten-free waffles!