If you are a hairstylist, you ought to know your clients’ requirements to style their hair in unique ways. Hair extensions and weaves are popular with the younger generation, as it gives them the freedom to style easily without damaging natural hair.
You need experience and the ability to think out-of-the-box to weave hair and get a great appearance. There is a greater chance that many of your clients like to use the service. Hence, you must learn about installing the weaves and extensions, which you can customize according to your clients’ needs.
Weave Hair Education
Not every individual knows about hair weaves. Therefore, educating your clients will help them care for the extensions, as it helps them look better for as long as possible. If they fail to follow the instructions, damage to natural hair is imminent.
The availability of hair extensions or weaves gives the ability to switch between different hairstyles with ease. It helps add color, volume, and length as required. Following proper weaving techniques is essential to prevent damage, and to educate the clients is crucial.
What is a Weave?
The process of sewing pieces of wefts or extensions into the hair is called weaving. Most of the cases involve braiding the natural hair into tracks or cornrows. You will begin installation by gathering the extensions and placing them at the top and creating the required hairpiece. Using a needle and thread, you will weave the extension and the sealed portion together.
Methods for Adding Hair Weaves
There are various procedures involved in installing the hair weaves.
- Bonding Hair Extensions: Apart from weaving the extensions, you can use the bonding technique to install the synthetic hair. You will be using extension glue to the weft and apply it to the root of the client’s natural hair. The process is temporary and the most comfortable procedure.
- Fusion Hair Extensions: The process is like that of the bonding technique. You will part the client’s natural hair into smaller sections and place the hair extensions using keratin glue. The glue helps retain the extension for at least six months.
- Clip-in Hair Extensions: Applying the extensions using the clip-in method is an easy task. You will sew the clip to the extension and then clip it to the natural hair. Clients can use this process at home to make a quick change to the appearance.
You can weave hair using any of the installation methods according to the client’s requirements. You also use colors or add color streaks to the extensions, depending on what a client asks, as there is no harm to the natural hair.
Hair Weave Caring
You must learn about the caring instructions so that you can discuss them with your clients. It will help them maintain the extensions in a healthy shape for the said period. The care and maintenance change according to the hairstyle and the installation method used.
- Washing: It is preferable to wash and condition once a week. It prevents build-up of debris and protects the hair from falling out. Additionally, drying the hair is crucial for retaining the original state. Using a blow dryer is advisable to remove the wetness.
- Drying: If not dried properly, the wetness of the extensions affects the natural hair. The moisture build-up damages the scalp, and the client will start noticing hair damage and hair fall. If your client sweats a lot, then it is advisable to wash the extensions twice a week.
Weave hair requires close monitoring and care. Ensure that you informed your client about the use of lukewarm water for washing the extensions. Further, choosing sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners are essential for maintaining the hair, volume, and the setting.
Braided Hair Care
If you have opted to braid your client’s hair and then sew the extension, then the procedure to maintain them changes automatically. It is always best to use hairspray between the braids to maintain freshness. You can tell your client to use the mixture of shampoo and water as the hairspray.
Application and removing the solution is a simple procedure. However, ensuring a proper method is essential to retain the braids and extensions. Repeating the care instructions twice every week protects the braids and the scalp. Further, avoiding upside down of the extensions is advisable during washing to prevent tangles. Apart from using a blow dryer, sitting under the hooded dryer also removes the extension and scalp’s wetness.
Additionally, instructions include daily care using an antibacterial spray and detangling the extensions after hair wash. Also, if your client wishes to remove the weave hair, help them understand the procedure.
You will learn about different hairstyles and the application of hair extensions when you are in cosmetology school. The skills that you learn in school are essential when you start taking your clients. The more you know about hair weaves, the better you are likely to serve and attract customers.
Hair weave is a simple procedure and helps individuals have long, beautiful, colorful, and volumized hair. Serve your clients with care and educate them in maintaining the extensions for a better relationship.